Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Shopper Girl


Recently, Callie spent the whole day shopping. She toted this little white purse around for hours. She gathered a few items and needed me to show her how to undo the latch. When I asked her where she was going, she said "to the store". I mentioned that I thought she needed a list, and she agreed. I got a small brown piece of paper and wrote down the items she said she needed to purchase. It was a short list, and then she crammed it in her purse. I thought that was the end of it. But no. She came back two or three times to get me to add items to her list. Just like me it seems - I can never remember all that I need. I have to keep adding to my list.
Through this easy, simple child-initiated activity, Callie's understanding of literacy concepts grew. Plus she looked so adorable carrying that purse around all day. A girl's got to have a good handbag!

No comments: